Project Name: High Steel Industrial Yard
Project Location: Lancaster, Pennsylvania
The Presto Geosystems GEOWEB® Load Support System provided a low-maintenance, permeable load-support surface at a staging area for a 10-acre industrial yard site. Heavy traffic at the steel fabricator’s facility caused severe rutting of the existing gravel surface and costly long-term maintenance problems.
- Provide a permeable surface to control stormwater runoff.
- Control surface rutting and distribute heavy wheel loads.
- Function as a drainage layer when back-filled with an open aggregate.
- Be a cost-effective alternative to conventional concrete or bituminous concrete.
GEOWEB Geocells Structural & Performance Benefits
- Confines aggregate, preventing shear failure and both lateral and vertical movement of the infill material.
- Creates a stiff load distribution system, effectively reducing subgrade contact pressures and vertical
- Controls differential and total settlement over low-strength subgrades.
- Structural support systems may be reduced by 50 percent or more.
- Cell wall perforations facilitate lateral cell-to-cell drainage beneath traffic areas, resulting in better performance oversaturated soils.
- Stabilization of the permeable pavement surface translates to a reduction in maintenance costs.
With aggregate infill, the system:
- Reduces stormwater runoff, promoting groundwater replenishment.
- Functions as a natural stormwater retention system, allowing water to fill the aggregate voids and permeate into the existing ground.
- Reduces the heat-island effect.